Impress your “veggie” friends with this mouthwatering starter.
The combination of vegetables, gram flour (besan) and bread crumbs makes this dish a great starter or appetizer for a party.
Your non-vegetarian friends will ask for a second helping, without a doubt. Make the kebabs of desired shapes, place them on skewers and serve your guests with pride!
- 3 cups Frozen or Fresh Mixed Vegetables (peas, carrots, beans and cauliflower). If you are using fresh vegetables, blanch them for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tbsp gram flour/besan (dry roasted on medium flame)
- 3 potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1) Firstly, allow the frozen vegetables to thaw. Once done, crush them. Take a pan; add the crushed vegetables, ginger–garlic paste and dry cook until the moisture has reduced. Do not overcook them. Take it off the flame and allow it to cool.
- 2) Next, add the mashed potatoes, roasted breadcrumbs, and besan/gram flour.
- 3) Add masala powder, chili powder, salt and give it a good mix. Mix the ingredients enough to get a good holding consistency and not soggy/crumbly. If it becomes soggy add more breadcrumbs/ gram flour to get the desired consistency.
- 4) Divide the mixture into equal parts. Roll them over skewers (as done here) or give them a shape of your choice. Ensure that they are not too big or “fat” else they will not be cooked from inside.
- 5) Deep fry the kebabs on medium/high heat till it turns golden brown in color. You can also grill it in the oven, barbecue them or cook them on charcoal grills.
- 6) Serve them hot with green chutney, sliced onion, and lemon.