Peanut butter blossoms are such a cute addition to any cookie tray. And although they’re usually made with chocolate candy centers that contain milk derivatives, they’re really easy to veganize!
You do, of course, have the option to forgo the chocolate kisses altogether and press several vegan chocolate chips into the center of your cookies instead, but making your own vegan chocolate kisses is so easy that I think it’s worth the extra bit of effort.
To make two dozen vegan chocolate kisses, melt together 1 cup of chocolate chips with 1 Tbsp shortening — for sheen and a softer texture — in a double-boiler. Remove melted chocolate from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, or until it’s just started to thicken. Fill a pastry bag (or sturdy ziplock bag) fitted with a large, round pastry tip with chocolate (you can also use a star tip if you’d rather have star-shaped kisses!). Allow to cool for a couple of minutes more, or until the chocolate is closer to the texture of frosting than liquid (or fondant, for that matter). The chocolate shouldn’t be too warm, or else the kisses won’t hold their shape. (I could’ve waited a little longer before piping out the kisses pictured, for example. Oops!) Don’t wait too long, though, because if the chocolate’s too cool, the kisses will be lumpy and hard to shape. I recommend doing a few test kisses to get the hang of it. Pipe out individual kisses on a sheet of waxed paper and allow to cool fully (at room temperature or in a refrigerator) before using.
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 24 vegan chocolate kisses (see main post)
- ¼ c vegan margarine
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp peanut butter (creamy, sweetened)
- ⅓ c packed light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tbsp unsweetened vegan milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ c flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat margarine and peanut butter in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add ⅓ c sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add milk and vanilla; beat well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; beat gradually into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1.5" balls.*
- Roll in sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Immediately press a chocolate into the center of each cookie; they will crack around the edges.
- Let rest for a couple of minutes, then remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.**