Looking for a healthy dairy-free ice cream that will satisfy your sweet tooth? If you have heard of the banana ice cream trend, you’re seriously missing out! This clean and simple dessert is quick to prepare and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet! Next time you have a craving for ice cream, skip the dairy and go buy some bananas.
Our two-ingredient chocolate ice cream calls for frozen bananas and cacao powder, for some extra sweetness we’ve added in maple syrup and vanilla extract. This recipe can easily be adaptable to make just about any type of ice cream. Using the bananas as a base, you can make:
Vanilla Ice Cream
frozen bananas + vanilla powder
Caramel Ice Cream
frozen bananas + medjool dates
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
frozen bananas + mint extract + cacao nibs
Cookie Dough Ice Cream
frozen bananas + oats + dates
Investing in a good food processor is best if you’re going to make vegan banana ice cream, if you’re like me – you’ll get addicted! Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring, with some imagination you can adapt this vegan banana ice cream to any of your favorite ice cream flavors. When you first blend the frozen bananas, they will have a crumbly texture, but wait for a couple of minutes and they’ll magically turn into soft serve ice cream!
Bananas don’t just taste great, they contain a lot of important nutrients. A banana contains on average 105 calories and is full of potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, magnesium, copper and manganese. They are also full of fiber and antioxidants.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Ice Cream
- 3 Frozen Bananas
- 2-3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Vegan Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Prepare the bananas by slicing them then freeze on a parchment covered baking sheet for at least 25 minutes. Freezing overnight is best.
- Put the frozen sliced bananas, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a food processor. You can omit the maple syrup and vanilla extract if you want a simple banana ice cream.
- Blend together until the mixture looks like soft serve ice cream (1-2 minutes)
- Top the banana ice cream with your favorite toppings! I enjoy vegan chocolate chips, chopped salted nuts or dried fruit for a nice chewy texture!