One of our fondest memories of Christmas is making a Shortbread recipe, although back then my family use to make it with butter and white sugar. Even though Shortbread isn’t a healthy food, we still love to make it at Christmas time without the butter and processed white sugar. In this shortbread recipe, we’ll be making this Vegan Shortbread with Coconut Oil, Wheat Flour, Rice Flour and Coconut Sugar.
Shortbread is a type of biscuit which is traditionally made from one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour (by weight). The use of plain white (wheat) flour is common today, and other ingredients like ground rice or cornflour are sometimes added to alter the texture.
Shortbread is baked at a low temperature to avoid browning. When cooked, it is nearly white, or a light golden brown. It may be sprinkled with more sugar while cooling. It may even be crumbly before cooled, but will become firmer after cooling. These Vegan Shortbreads are perfect for Christmas day, or to make as a little treat for your friends and family.
Vegan Shortbread Recipe
- Melted Coconut Oil, to grease
- 250 g Coconut Oil, at room temperature
- 100 g (1/2 cup) coconut sugar
- 300 g (2 cups) plain flour, sifted
- 90 g (1/2 cup) rice flour, sifted
- 1 Tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat Oven to 150 Degrees Celsius & brush your baking trays with the Coconut Oil.
- Using a Wooden Spoon mix the Coconut Oil & Vanilla Extract together.
- Gradually add in the flours and mix together and use your hands to bring the dough together, don’t over mix.
- Place your dough onto a non stick baking sheet and roll out until ¼ inch thick.
- Put dough into Fridge so the Coconut Oil stiffens.
- Before placing your shortbread dough into the oven, you can score the shortbread into slices or use a cookie cutter to create shapes.
- Bake the Shortbread swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 30-40 minutes or until light golden, this time can vary depending on the thickness of your shortbread.
- Once they’re baked, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- You can sprinkle on Coconut sugar or Icing Sugar to finish. (Optional)