If you’re craving a hearty breakfast or lunch, why not try my wild mushroom bruschetta recipe! Combined with tangy balsamic and herbs topped on your favorite crusty bread. I personally love the meaty texture of the mushrooms along with some toasted sourdough bread.
Mushrooms is fantastic to have on bruschetta, and is a great alternative to the usual tomatoes. They have a delicious flavor and are packed full of nutrients. Mushrooms are a great source of selenium (an antioxidant mineral), copper niacin, potassium and phosphorous. They also contain protein, iron and vitamin C. In order to get the most nutrients from mushrooms, it’s best to cook them in order to break down their cell walls.
There are many varieties of mushrooms to choose from including crimini, enoki, oyster, portobello, shiitake or white button – all mushrooms are loaded with essential nutrients. You can use any variety of mushroom you want for this mushroom bruschetta – or even use a mixture!
This Mushroom Bruschetta Recipe is fantastic with balsamic vinegar and herbs, they really help to bring some extra flavor into the dish. There’s nothing like fresh herbs that have been picked from the garden – alternatively you can use dried. And of course, when cooking with mushrooms you can’t forget to add Pepper! These two ingredients are a match made in heaven!
Wild Mushroom Bruschetta with Balsamic and Herbs
- 400 g mixed wild mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, porcini, and portobello
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onion
- Salt and pepper
- Half clove of garlic, unpeeled
- 4 slices bread (sourdough is best)
- Heat a large fry pan/skillet over high heat.
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
- Toss into pan and sauté quickly, about a minute or two.
- Add the balsamic and maple syrup over, then stir for another 30 seconds or so to let the balsamic and maple caramelize.
- Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and rub each piece lightly with garlic.
- Pile on the mushroom and serve immediately. Top with spring onion.